Wednesday, April 14, 2010

He sees the heart

S: "But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart.'" 1 Samuel 16:7 NIV

O: God made all of us exactly the way we are. A big nose or a small chin. A round belly or very thin arms. He weighs us not by these things because He understands that they do not matter. He weighs us by what we carry in our hearts. God is not deceived by appearances.

A: There are two separate applications I can derive from this. First, I must not judge by appearances. Am I better able to tell a person's worth than God? If He doesn't judge by appearances, what right do I think I have to do so? Second, I need to be sure that my heart is in the right place. I can attend all the church services I want. I can praise God loudly for all to hear, but unless my heart is right I'm like the Pharisees in Matthew 23. All the people around me might think I'm Godly but in God's sight I am worse than a non-believer.

P: Father, open my eyes so that I may see others as you see them. Open my eyes so that I may see myself as You see me. When I praise you, don't allow me to keep the praise from my heart. Create in me a clean heart, Oh God.

No comments: